Godaddy, the most popular domain registrar has finally made it to my shit list. I can give you ton of reasons why they suck. Most people don’t know much about domain registrars. They come across godaddy because of their online presence; they spend huge sum of money on marketing and advertising. I am sure you have seen them on TV, posters and of course, the Super Bowl.
Godaddy seems to focus more on the godaddy girls and ridiculous ads rather than on stability, security and customer service. They are really smart and have innovative ways to overcharge their customers and make as much money as they can. If I knew about their evil tactics, I would have never chosen them in the first place.
There are over a million websites talking about why Godaddy sucks and my reasons are somewhat similar. I would have written this post earlier but recently, they really pissed me off. Read on to know why.
I had over 20 domains on godaddy that was expiring. I had to take quick action because I really did not want to lose them. When I logged into my account, the first thing godaddy showed me were the accounts which were expiring. Just prior to this, I received calls, discount post cards, emails from godaddy asking me to renew the domains. Wow, sweet right? You get discount coupons and emails at the right time…well its ok to some extent but receiving several emails a week can be annoying.
So this is what I did: added the domains to the cart for renewal, added a coupon code (which was pretty useless) and as soon as I was about to make the payment, I realized that the Free domain protection (the whois protection) was no longer free for the second year and there was no way to remove them. This means that I had to pay over $15-$20 for each domain. I think this is ridiculous and another sneaky godaddy tricks to make money.
I decided to transfer the domains to namecheap who I believe are far better than godaddy. They are neat and easy to deal with. Although I attempted to transfer all the expiring domains to namecheap, godaddy thwarted some of the attempts and I was able to transfer only a handful of them successfully. They have ton of reasons to give you when they can’t comply with your decision; stuff like these actually hurt my business while making them bank.
7 Reasons Why Not to Choose Godaddy
- GoDaddy suspends accounts without due cause. It happened to one of my friend. Some of his domains were suspended without any valid reason.
- GoDaddy’s customer service sucks. They will call you to remind you about renewal but when it comes to support, they are worthless.
- GoDaddy uses dirty tricks to block domain name transfers. This just happened to me and unfortunately I decided to let some of the domains expire rather than renewing them with godaddy.
- GoDaddy gives 1 year FREE privacy but as soon as you hit the second year, you need to pay extra for it. Removing this option is not available and if it is then it’s a tough process (definitely not worth my time).
- Godaddy’s privacy option sucks. They give up your contact information to anyone who threatens to sue them. If we pay for privacy, we should get it.
- Godaddy’s marketing and promoting plans are evil. Once you visit their website to purchase a domain, they will display a ton of bonus options, features, deals etc. In simple words, they will try to lure you towards purchasing other related stuff. You might want to just get a domain but they will try to sell privacy, hosting and each and every thing that is related to it. Be smart and don’t fall for their discounts.
- Godaddy’s hosting platform is insanely complicated and is not suitable for newbies. Their entire system is friggin complicated.
I wanted to play my part and educate others on what I think about godaddy. They are popular and a big brand; this simply doesn’t mean big brands are legit. I have over 3 years of experience with them and my review is totally unbiased. On my next post, I will provide a step by step guide on how to transfer your domains to namecheap or any other registrar. Let me know what you think about this? Do you think Godaddy Sucks?